Well, there are good and bad sides to this topic so I'll separate it for you..
WHEN TEACHERS PICK PARTNERS (Good)
*You can be paired up with someone who carries their own weight.
*You won't break your friends heart when you chose someone else.
*Takes time away from picking a bad partner.
WHEN TEACHERS PICK PARTNERS (Bad)
* You could end up with a horrible grade.
*You get the worse person in the class
*You'll end up doing the work
*The person is lazy & horrible
WHEN YOU PICK PARTNERS (Good)
* You could pick someone you like
* You could end up getting a great grade
* You'll pick someone who you work good with
WHEN YOU PICK PARTNERS (Bad)
* Working with people that you thought would work
* Work with a friend who you really like, but it doesn't get done
*Pick someone who isn't a great partner.
There are a lot of Pro's & Con's when it comes to picking partners, so there are a few things that could help you out...
* Try & write a not to your teacher & ask them if you could work with _______ and give them good solid reasons why they should make you work with that person.
* When it comes to you picking your own partner if you know a project is coming up tell the person ahead of time you want to work together, so when that bad person comes along, you can say "Sorry, but I already have a partner, maybe next time." and make sure next time you DON'T work with them! I hope this helps when it comes to project partners! Good Luck! ;)